Monday 21 November 2016

Hair of the Dog


 The one thing Greyhounds lack is a ready supply of craft supplies.  Though, in reality, if did have a dog with a truly craftable coat, I would probably have to spend so much time grooming it that I wouldn't have time to craft with it!  Fortunately I do have friends with well-kept fluffies who are happy to keep me supplied with plenty of raw craft material, and my own dogs are happy for me to be pottering around the house with bags of strange-smelling dog hair.  After a good pick through, scalding, spinning, and dyeing (knew that crockpot would come in handy sometime) we're well on our way to some lovely and scrumptiously soft and warm garments.  I have nearly finished a round of Keeshond (6 skeins and counting) and will soon be starting into some Samoyed.  I still have a bag of Husky down in my back room that will be next up for processing, too.  I'm finding that, given the variable nature of dog coats, I still get a bit of fats&thins with spinning so everything is getting plyed with a 2ply laceweight alpaca to help give consistency when handling for making final products.  Thank goodness for my tunnel house--it doubles as an amazing heated drying room that really helps speed up all this fiber processing!  

1 comment: